Richard Kang is the Managing Director at Sigma Analysis & Management, a Toronto based investment advisor and fintech provider to asset owners including pensions, endowments and family offices. Richard is a serial entrepreneur having started up and led various asset management and fintech businesses. Most recently, he co-founded Emerging Global Advisors, a NYC based ETF isuer with assets over USD 2 billion which included the Emerging Market Consumer ETF (NYSE: ECON), ranked #1 by Morningstar based on performance. Founded in September 2008, the firm was sold to Columbia Threadneedle (the investment arm of Ameriprise Financial) in the summer of 2016. Over his 25 years of buy-side experience, Richard has held senior roles at a hedge fund, fund-of-hedge fund, index provider and ETF issuer/manager most often as a co-founder and Chief Investment Officer. A regular on financial and mainstream press, Richard taught the “Fundamentals of Portfolio Management” course at NYU. His current interests are in wealthtech and where it intersects with ETFs, SPACs, Bitcoin and other innovative areas in financial services. Richard currently advises:
- A Canadian alternative investment fund manager whose ETFs are actively managed and provide niche exposures such as SPACs and soon bitcoin.
- A Canadian national church pension and endowment.
- A global leader in indices as a member of their country classification committee.
- A US based index and ETF provider as an index committee member of their emerging market internet and e-commerce index
- An early-stage Indian based robo advisor
- An early-stage GCC based robo advisor